GETTING AN EDUCATION IN PHOENIX, AZ


August 6, 2008
Over the past three months my son Daniel and I have been trying to get him funding for school in Phoenix. Without mentioning names we ran into a lot of problems. My son had gone online and submitted his application for federal loans through FAFSA and that was done in May and early June.

The main problem was his initial attempt to get funding through the tribe he belongs to. He submitted his forms, transcripts to one of the tribal offices because of its proximity. When I had done all I could and sent some forms overnight, calling, emailing, faxing, the office that was supposed to receive the forms said we didn't get them in on time.

Funny thing, though, the papers were handed in two weeks before the deadline. The problem was that they were supposed to be sent to another agency but that was through their own offices, not something my son or I could do. Now who is at fault?

The school, where he was supposed to go, has a recruiting office where I emailed back and forth to several people. They were helping my son get his funding through there if it failed through the tribe. Well, a week ago, I called the finance office to see how things were coming along. They said everything looked good. They said

Daniel received some funding for school. Hooray!!!
They told me that he should start orientation on Thursday, that's tomorrow. He was all packed last night and figuring on coming into Gallup to gas up but this morning he got a phone call. The man on the other side said Daniel has been placed on a waiting list. Daniel quit his job last night so he could move to Phoenix. Now he has to wait?

What? A waiting list? How come? They never said anything from the finance office. Never said anything from June up to this date. Daniel was very upset. His brother was preparing for him to stay with him at his house in the studio where he usually painted. He gave that up to find another art studio space to do his work. He and his wife readied the studio to look like an apartment. Daniel will have a small refrig, microwave, bathroom and futon and table to study on. It was very kind of Steven and Eileen to help him right now.

Daniel told me he was scared to go to school. I told him it wouldn't be any different than starting a new job. So Steven told Daniel to still come down and work, possibly with his uncle who is an electrician by trade.
I know he'll be fine but getting that initial news didn't help a bit this morning. As for the school? I wished they'd get their heads together and communicate better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE 1982 DENVER BLIZZARD

NOT SO KEEN HALLOWEEN