A Warning - False Publishers

I received a letter from an Oakwood Press not too long ago with special letterhead, address, etc and reading the letter the person signing it said that one of my poems (which I think they found on Poemhunter.com) was picked to be in an anthology they were printing and they needed my permission. They also offered the book for $19.95.

So, thinking this was a legitimate company, I sent them the money and waited, now almost 6 months with no book. So I proceeded to look for Oakwood press online. I found that same listing. I tried calling the number..NIS. Then I went online to find another number..still nothing. I did write to the email listed.

Then, yesterday, I got a call from a man, a really nice gentleman, from Toronto, Canada saying he was the one that had Oakwood Press but that name was what he put on a little booklet. He said it sounded like I had been scammed that it was a hoax. Oh dear, I thought. I will never do that again. Also if a letter ever comes in the mail, I'll check and verify that it is a legitimate company. That check I wrote was cashed.

So beware of anyone saying they are from Oakwood Press or any press that aren't legitimate. It was my fault for not checking in advance but I was so excited that anyone would want to publish my poem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE 1982 DENVER BLIZZARD

NOT SO KEEN HALLOWEEN