Larry Norman, "king of Christian rock" Tribute



A Tribute to Larry Norman, 4/8/1947 – 2/24/2008

I’ve been a Church musician and worship leader for over 40 years and the Lord has given me a wider view of music styles and have included many in my worship listings. Was Rock and Roll a part of my repertoire? Well, for years, my father told me not to listen to Rock and Roll but when I became a Christian, I realized that God made us to create. Rock was created for a reason, to glorify the Lord.

Rock and Roll music had a certain thrust, a force, to yell or scream in some cases a thought, a feeling, a doctrine or impression. I saw that so many young people listened to rock and loved the way it moved them.

When I first heard Larry Norman and “I Wished We’d All Been Ready”, I thought the song was powerful and brought many images to mind. I remember hearing it also in a movie, “A Thief In The Night”. That movie brought an urgency for me to stay committed to the Lord and watch for His appearing.

Larry has been referred to as the “Father of Christian Rock” because he put the beat of rock to Christian lyrics. From what I’ve read about Larry, he was easy going and his manner was not as restless as another Christian rocker of the time, Keith Green. Larry will be missed by family and friends from all over the world. His music was translated in several languages including Russian and Hebrew.

The following were Larry’s last words:

I feel like a prize in a box of cracker jacks with God's hand reaching down to pick me up. I have been under medical care for months. My wounds are getting bigger. I have trouble breathing. I am ready to fly home.
My brother Charles is right. I won't be here much longer. I can't do anything about it. My heart is too weak. I want to say goodbye to everyone. In the past you have generously supported me with prayer and finance and we will probably still need financial help.

My plan is to be buried in a simple pine box with some flowers inside. But still it will be costly because of funeral arrangement, transportation to the gravesite, entombment, coordination, legal papers etc. However money is not really what I need, I want to say I love you.

I'd like to push back the darkness with my bravest effort. There will be a funeral posted here on the website, in case some of you want to attend. We are not sure of the date when I will die.


Goodbye, farewell, we will meet again.
Goodbye, farewell, we'll meet again
Somewhere beyond the sky.
I pray that you will stay with God
Goodbye, my friends, goodbye.

Larry

GOODBYE LARRY. WE WILL MISS YOU. Written by Kathryn Tyler Little, 2/27/2008.

Larry Norman Has Passed

When another friend and composer has died,
I was struck again by the shortness of time.
I often find myself yearning and have cried
to finish what God’s inspired me with rhyme.

The songs keep coming, but no way to record.
I know it will get done but it’s taken so long.
No matter, I’ll sing of Him that I’ve adored
and remember those who’ve written a song.

Their music will live for as long as there’s life.
As long as no one oppresses or shuts our mouth.
When there’s a fire burning to end all of strife
That leads souls to heaven, to Him it’s about.

Larry and Rich and Keith I will remember you.
Your music inspired me and moved me to tears.
But to God be the Glory for He gave songs anew
To fill our hearts with love and joy with no fear.

Your turbulent words and purity astounded me.
Your closeness to God has kept my life inspired.
For you will be remembered here and over the sea.
I’ll keep telling God’s story and never get tired.


Kathryn Tyler Little, ©Copyright, 2/27/2008


Comments

  1. My my Kathryn, what a beautiful designed background you have here, and I loved this post! I believe God has the best seat in the house for all those concerts he must get to see! There HAS to be a rock and roll heaven....

    Your poem was lovely, as always!

    Love Debbie
    Editor
    Global Music Star

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are awesome. The background is wonderful! Your poetry is heartfelt. Now I want to hear you play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE 1982 DENVER BLIZZARD

NOT SO KEEN HALLOWEEN