Letter to the Editor-1988

September 22, 1988  Letter to the Editor

It has been my undoing or my chagrin to have worked for a law firm that doesn't know when they have someone good to work with them. Truth, justice and the American Way is no longer exemplified by the legal body. The firm, I won't mention, due to the fact that not everyone in the barrel is rotten, has denied my most unalienable right, to grow, to flex my muscle so to speak, to be trained and to move upward, not downward.  But as it goes those in high office do tend to compromise.
 
The case in point is the neglect and feeding of secretaries, staff and help, not just in this particular law firm but other businesses as well. People seem to forget that there is a world out there. A world depending on our expertise and wisdom, knowledge in various areas to help the destitute, the floundering, the poor managers, the oppressed, the defrauded, and the denied of society.
 
Is it right for fledgling in house secretaries and staff to be put on a leash, sometimes too tight, and made to sit undaunted, unthinking, unemotional, as if by remote control to stare at four walls, fill in the blanks, go at thy bosses bidding and suffer distress, duress, pain, emotional stagnation as well as spiritual death? It is my belief that if you don't like it do something about it. But what can I do? I used to be a people person. I was hired for that. Someone who could get along with practically everyone, have a sweet demeanor and carry on through the day consistent in duty and behavior. But knowing I also am a Christian does carry with it a stigma to those who compromise and to those who do not love truth and would rather shut me up.
 
This was accomplished by a drastic move that has effected my emotions, my mind, my physical and spiritual being. I represent to them uncompromising strength that they cannot bear. To fire me because they don't like what I believe or stand for would cause, for the law firm, some embarrassment. To move me where no one can hear, sounded like the solution for many attorneys.
 
My work was fine, so they say, but my ideals, my faith, my uncompromising stand for the truth at all cost rubbed some people wrong. What did they go to law school for? To see how they could break the law? To see how much they could squeeze out of their clients? What happened to our legal profession? What happened to upholding the truth, honesty, integrity and justice? So many attorneys fall for the buck, compromise on issues they once would never have thought twice on. They have denied the truth, passed it off as bad or not reasonable or not benefitting the situation.
 
I was always told, honesty is the best policy. Well, half if not three-fourths of the clients nowadays want the attorneys to fit into their thinking good or bad and support them in their unwise, unfair decisions. If they can't find a lawyer to support their cause then they'll find an attorney that will take their money.
 
So many good attorneys have fallen by the wayside or become weak because they have succumbed that one time in their life. It is because of their first fall that it became easier to fall the second and third and so on.
 
Not only attorneys are effected by a distastefully dishonest public but administrators of legal firms also. In order to be a good administrator there needs to be a concern for everyone in the firm, not just the ones they like. In order for the firm to function well, there needs to be team work and a desire to see people grow, no matter if they've been there six months, six year or sixteen. The staff and secretaries want to feel they are important and not just once or twice a year. There isn't enough of those rare "thank you", "may I", and "please".
 
It is a sad thing to work where there are too many cliques, too many selfish, greedy people that won't share their workload because of pride and mock and deride you for living for what is right, and who could care less if you have the desire to work, to learn, to be trained.
 
I have been referred to as an enigma of sorts. Because of my love for God and His Word and statutes there will surely come those who won't understand His ways.
 
Signed Anonomous

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOT SO KEEN HALLOWEEN

THE 1982 DENVER BLIZZARD