Pentecostalism As Viewed by a Christian

I married a man who came from an Ash Arbor Pentecostal background. It has been difficult at times because of his beliefs. I have been a Christian for over 50 years now and the Holy Spirit came into my life in 1966. Because of my involvements with various denominations, I have been taught by the Holy Spirit and have been careful what I hear and what is taught to me. I base what I hear upon the Word of God. If we are not careful, it is easy to be deceived.

My background came from several denominations so the Lord allowed me to see all of them in different lights. I was raised in a Lutheran church, then Methodist, then a combination when our family moved to Flagstaff, Arizona called Federated. In college I was exposed to Baptists, conservative, belonged to a youth group, Presbyterian, near the college in Tucson. When married, I attended a Baptist church, then Melodyland then Calvary Chapel. When in New Mexico, a Baptist church. In Page, Arizona a full gospel church, nondenominational. In Phoenix, a spirit-filled non-denominational church, then Word of Grace. Once in Holbrook, attended Four Square Church. The list goes on and you can see that I had a wide variety of church background but my faith only got stronger, my knowledge and understanding grew right along with it. My spiritual growth became dynamic when I was filled with the Holy Spirit which didn't come by laying on of hands but by faith.

I have taken the stand to support my husband in where he wants to go to church and deny really what I wanted. When we moved to Payson, Arizona, I found a good Christian, Holy Spirit led church at Calvary Chapel. I even felt the Spirit, tears running down and freedom in the Spirit. I know there are tons of churches here but I felt very comfortable there. I was hoping to continue there and get involved with the music but alas, my husband had different ideas.

I love being with people and the place we go to worship is fine as my faith is not changed in any respect but the fellowship is wanting. There is a Bible Study and leaving out areas that I have difficulty with, having my belief system in place, it goes well. Then Sunday sometime I can share music but it's not like before at Joshua Generation where I was the worship leader, teacher and admonish-er.  I feel strapped to not grow and not find the place where the Lord wants me.

Some Pentecostals would say I am in rebellion and should do as my husband says. Well, I did tell him I would go where he felt comfortable even if that meant I wasn't. That won't keep me from having fellowship with other Christian women and perhaps doing music with others.  So, for now I am not in a position to make a change on my own because both my husband and I are out of work. It does give me the opportunity to get into the Word of God and do more study.

I love the Word of God and it is what has directed me through the years. The Lord says to trust Him and He would lead me to listen to my heart. Well, you might say, "the heart is wicked" but not if it is converted and open to the Lord. I believe that. I believe He is a good God and the Lord laid out the church in the beginning and some may have tried to make it utopia but their utopia was a human endeavor. The Word of God tells how we should worship and what we should believe and not be turned one way or another and not be deceived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOT SO KEEN HALLOWEEN

THE 1982 DENVER BLIZZARD