My sons' Grandpa Lemuel

Lemuel Bahe Yazzie, my son's Steven and Matt's grandpa, died recently at 91. The first time I met him he was attending a Christian retreat at El Nathan Conference grounds with his wife Dorothy. I remember how he and Dorothy worked with their Navajo people and I watched their lives together with their large family.

I was only married into the family for five years but I have always been treated like a daughter and sister to this date. They asked if I would play at his funeral and I agreed. I also played at Dorothy's funeral near Laguna, NM at the Acoma Baptist Mission, near Budville, NM.

Years before he had been a Navajo Code Talker in the Marine Corp. There aren't many Code Talkers left. He had been a fighter or boxer for several years and had won most of his matches. There was one man, at the funeral, who mentioned his fighting abilities and techniques and brought some to laughter.

When he and Dorothy first started their church at Tse Bi Otseel Bible church, they lived in a small trailer. Most of the kids had gone on to college or careers and had gotten married. Only Grace and Walter were still living with them at the time. Both were hard workers and Dorothy was always teaching the children using flannelgraphs and using simple songs to teach the story of Jesus.

I learned a great deal from her. She loved the children and her own children also followed her example as they later raised their own kids. I discovered many ways to teach children God's way of living.

Lemuel also spent time as the Chapter President at White Cone but his devotion to the Lord was of primary importance. For several years he taught and preached to his people and the church grew. Another man later took over the ministry when he no longer could do the work because of his age and his health.

His children were committed to helping him and taking care of him when he was ill and later died. His family is close knit and his grandchildren and great grandchildren adored their grandpa and they spoke gratefully and tearfully about him and what he meant to them.

There are other websites where he is mentioned, not only for his service to the Lord but to his country that he loved.


http://navajocodetalkers.org/news_and_events/?p=55


http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/pueblos_tribes/navajo-code-talker-commemorated


http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?p=575960


I know his children and grandchildren have so many funny and happy memories that will continually remind them that they had a good leader in the family. He was blessed to have so many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. I was blessed to know him.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE 1982 DENVER BLIZZARD

NOT SO KEEN HALLOWEEN